The list below gives the tests available for each subject, with grades given in parentheses behind each test.
- Reading: MCA (grades 3-8, 10)
- Mathematics: MCA (grades 3-8, 11)
- Science: MCA (grades 5, 8, 10)
How to Prepare Your Child
Parents can help prepare their students for to do their best of the state assessment by doing the following:
General test preparation
- Encourage students to answer all the test questions
- Familiarize students with test directions and format.
- Have students get a good night’s sleep and eat a nutritious breakfast before taking the test
- Read to your students and encourage them to read to you
- Encourage your students to read different types of text: newspapers, magazines, text books and fiction
- Discuss with your child the things they are reading
- Encourage students to use math everyday: estimating during trips to the store, analyzing and explain graphs and charts in newspapers and magazines, using rulers and measuring cups in daily activities
- Play games that involve numbers and computation
- Use science articles and news stories to show that science is an ongoing, active process
- Have students use inquiry skills while engaged in daily activities- ask “why do you think this happened?”
- Explore science outside the classroom- nature centers, zoos, and museums
Here are some websites that correspond with current curriculum used by our schools.
If you have questions regarding the state assessments given at STEP Academy, please contact Traci Moore at 651-289-6120.